Chemical peels are used for the treatment of a number of conditions. They may be used to treat photo aged or sun damaged skin, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, scarring, and discoloration including melasma or the “mask of pregnancy.” Chemical peels deliver controlled injury to the skin that promotes the growth of new skin improving the appearance.
At GlamDerm, we offer a number of peels including superficial and medium depth peels. Superficial peels like glycolic acid and salicylic acid peels produce injury confined to the epidermis, or the top most layer of the skin. Usually a series of three peels is recommended, spaced one month apart. There is minimal downtime with most patients experiencing light peeling over the course of a few days.
Medium depth peels, like the Vi peel, cause injury to both the epidermis and the top portion of the dermis, producing more of a peeling effect. The Vi peel consists of a synergistic blend of five acids:
1) TCA – Trichloroacetic Acid for penetration, deep scar healing, and collagen stimulation.
2) Retinoic Acid – an acid from Vitamin A to combat wrinkles.
3) Salicylic Acid – This beta hydroxy acid (BHA) is a strong exfoliant.
4) Phenol – a powerful acid with antiseptic and anesthetic properties that aids in skin penetration
5) Vitamin C – ascorbic acid that has antioxidant and mild exfoliation properties.