Many men and women in New York are constantly on the lookout for a treatment that can diminish sun spots that they’ve accumulated over the summer and refresh their skin.
Fall is the perfect time to seek cosmetic treatments, as there’s less risk for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at that particular time of year.
So, what’s the most effective way that patients can rejuvenate sun-damaged skin and signs of aging without considerable downtime?
For a number of patients, Microdermabrasion or even Microneedling is too gentle and a CO2 laser is too aggressive. Fortunately, ResurFXTM Laser by Lumenis can provide patients with clearer, more radiant and plumper skin with minimal side effects and zero recovery.
Here’s what you need to know about skin resurfacing with ResurFX.
What Is ResurFx and How Is It Different From Other Laser Treatments?
Because ResurFX is a non-ablative laser it can target the deeper dermis without causing visible damage to the outer layers of skin. Additionally, it’s also a fractional device that emits energy as tiny dots that cover only a fraction of the skin.
As such, ResurFX can deliver better results, with less discomfort and side effects than other laser resurfacing treatments.
How Does ResurFx Produce Smoother, Brighter, and Tighter Skin?
ResurFX operates at a 1565 nm wavelength to heat the skin and create controlled thermal damage. These microinjuries then initiate a wound-healing response that stimulates the growth of new collagen and elastin.
As a result, patients experience a thickening of the dermis for fuller and more resilient skin.
What Are the Benefits of ResurFx?
In addition to avoiding disruption of the outer layers of skin, ResurFX only requires one treatment pass. Therefore, it decreases treatment time, so patients can return to their busy lives.
Another advantage of ResurFX is its handpiece is equipped with continuous contact cooling, which protects tissue from unintended damage and increases comfort during the procedure.
When Can Patients Note Treatment Results?
ResurFX provides both immediate and continuous results in the treatment of age spots or sun spots, fine lines and wrinkles, stretch marks, hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone, scars from acne or surgery, and lax or loose skin.
Within a few days of their first ResurFX treatment, many patients note that sun spots and blackheads are significantly reduced and that skin is smoother, more even, and glowing.
For optimal results, a series of 3-4 sessions spaced a month apart is recommended.
ResurFX Treatment Recommendations
Pre Treatment Recommendations
- No sun exposure 1 month Pre Treatment. No sun exposure 1 month Post Treatment.
- Discontinue any retinoid products 5 days prior to treatment, and 5 days Post Treatment
- If you have a history of cold sores, have your Valtrex prescription filled and take starting 1 day before the treatment.
- Arrive to your appointment 45 minutes prior for numbing of the area.
- Shave the treatment area if there is hair. If you have a beard, trim to what would be equivalent to a “2 day shadow.”
- Arrive clean faced without make-up, moisturizers or lotions.
- Wear or bring a button down shirt so as not to pull anything over the face or across the body after treatment.
The ResurFX TM Fractional Non-Ablative Skin Resurfacing Laser Treatment may produce side effects. Please see below for some of the potential side effects you may experience.
- After treatment, you will experience redness, swelling or, after a few days, a bronzed appearance. Most swelling will be noticeable on the first morning after treatment. Swelling usually lasts two to three days. To minimize swelling you may apply cold compresses that have been refrigerated to the area for 10 minutes of every hour on the day of treatment, until bedtime. We recommend that you sleep with your head elevated on pillows the first night.
- Noticeable pinkness over the next few weeks. Most resolve during the 1st week. A “glow” can remain several weeks.
- For 1 to 3 hours following your treatment, you may experience a flushed or heat sensation.
- Some patients have experienced itching.
- You may feel discomfort. TYLENOL may be taken for discomfort.
- Your skin may feel dry, peel, or flake. You may notice a “sandpaper” texture a few days after treatment. This is the treated tissue working its way out of your body as new fresh skin is regenerated. Do not pull or manually remove flaking skin.
- If cold sores develop please contact your practitioner.
While in office a bland moisturizer like Aquaphor or Cetaphil cream will be applied. Use of cold compresses or cold (not frozen) gel packs helps alleviate the heat sensation.
- First Few Days. Do not wear make-up for 2 days after treatment. Continue gentle cleansing and moisturizing over the next few days. Once dry skin starts to flake off, please allow your skin to heal. DO NOT scrub, rub, or use exfoliants.
- First Week of Healing. Keep treated area clean; avoid smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, excessive exercise, perspiring, swimming, yoga or exposing skin to heat and sun.
- Skin Care Products. All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week. Aveeno, Dove, Neutrogena, and Cetaphil are easily accessible over the counter brands.
- Scrubs, Toners, Bleaching Creams, Glycolic Acid, and Retinoid (Retin – A, Tazorac, Tretinoin). Your skin will be sensitive for the first week or so after treatment. Do not use products that will cause irritation for a minimum of 5 days after treatment. Do not use bleaching creams, abrasive scrubs, toners, or products that contain glycolic acids or retinoid. Read the product labels. Retinoids may be resumed 5 full days after treatment as long as treatment area is free of flaking, redness, and irritation.
- Normal Skin Care Regimen. Once all dry skin has flaked off and your skin is fully healed, you may resume your routine skin care and make-up products, as long as they are tolerable to you. We recommend a mineral based make-up.
- Sunscreen. Use sunscreen immediately after treatment. Continue to use to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have an SPF of 30 or more. Use sunscreen immediately after treatment and apply daily for at least 3 months after your last treatment. Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Diligent sunscreen use may lower the risk of laser-induced hyperpigmentation (darker skin color).
- Moisturize. Remember that peeling and/or flaking is normal. Therefore, the moisturizer you use should be non-irritating and non-clogging, or else you could develop breakouts. Instead of using 2 separate products, you may use moisturizers that contain SPF 30 or higher. Reapply whenever your skin feels dry.
- Abnormal Healing. If you notice any side effects outside of those listed above or are having a severe reaction, please contact GlamDerm at 212-674-0004.
To learn more about ResurFX Laser Resurfacing treatment in Gramercy, New York and to schedule an appointment to see if it’s the right treatment for you, please contact us today.